9- Use Stencils on your nerf gun
Pick, print, cover, cut, then paint your stencil on to give your blaster a more authentic look. Stencils are a great tool for upgrading your paint job to a professional level.
I used microsoft word to get the lettering I used for the insignia. Simply pick a cool font, from 48 to 72 font size depending on how large you want it, and print it out.
What you will learn in this step
- How to prepare a stencil for use
- How to paint a stencil onto your shell
What you need to get started
- Xacto knife
- Acrylic paints
- Small paint brush
- Tray to pour acrylic paint on
- Good lighting
How to cut and tape a stencil
Use clear tape to laminate your insignia. When you apply the tape, start with the center of the strip then work your way out. Use your thumbnail to flatten any air-bubbles. Once you have laminated it you then simply cut it to a workable size, like you saw in the above video.
To cut out the inside of the stencil, you will need an xacto knife. This requires delicate work, and you should check with an adult before you attempt this. Go slow, and always know that should you goof up you can easily print out another. It helps to hold the knife like a pencil.
When using an xacto knife, remember to keep all other fingers well out of the way! Go slow, and always be under control.
To fill out the stencil I used simple acrylic paints and a small brush. i wanted it to have a flame like effect, so I used a stippling method to apply the red, white, and yellow colors.
- Cover image you want to use as a stencil (front and back) with clear packaging tape and then cut out using scissors and x-acto or utility knife.
- Make sure you’ve measured the area you want the stenciled image to go before printing.
- Use stiff bristle brush, stenciling brush or small sponge to apply paint.
- Have a paper towel or rag laid out to dab excess paint from your brush on before stenciling.
- Hold stencil firmly in place while lightly pouncing on your color.
- Sand your blaster
- Use dremel and blast marks on your nerf gun
- Clean your nerf gun
- Add prime to your nerf gun
- Add base coat to your nerf gun
- Add tape to your nerf gun
- Add accent coat to your nerf gun
- Misting your nerf gun
- Use stencils on your nerf gun
- Add details to your nerf gun
- Protect your nerf gun with clear coat