7- Add Accent Coat to your nerf gun
Accent colors turn a plain black blaster into an eye grabbing, multi-dimensional work of art.
This step takes you through applying your accent coat. I chose green as my accent color.
What you will learn in this step
- How to apply your accent coa
- How to remove tape after spraying
What you need to get started
- Your taped up shell pieces
- Your accent paint
- Good lighting
Spraying the accent coat is like the prime and base coat, with an added emphasis on control. You want all overspray to hit the tape and nothing outside of it, otherwise you will have some touching up to do.
Don’t feel bad if you miss a spot either, as it can be taken care of in the weathering process in a later step. When removing the tape remember to pull away from your painted area. This minimizes the chances of messing up the wet paint by rubbing against it.
If you do have some overspray, you have a couple options:
- Cover it up in the detail step.
- Wait for your paint to dry and then tape off your accent coat so you can respray your black.
- Take it as a learning experience and not worry about it.
- Come up with a clever story as to why the splotch exists.
Most cases it’s an easy fix, and a simple matter of brushing over with some acrylic paints or rub n buff. All that is covered in the detail step.[wpvideo UTQ9WgfU] After you have removed all the tape, the next part is easy – set it out to air dry! Drying time can take an hour or more if you are painting in cooler temperatures.
- Wear blue nitrile gloves to keep your hands clean while spraying on the accent colors
- Holding pieces while painting gives you better view and control of what you’re painting
- Use short sweeping strokes when spraying on the paint
- Sand your blaster
- Use dremel and blast marks on your nerf gun
- Clean your nerf gun
- Add prime to your nerf gun
- Add base coat to your nerf gun
- Add tape to your nerf gun
- Add accent coat to your nerf gun
- Misting your nerf gun
- Use stencils on your nerf gun
- Add details to your nerf gun
- Protect your nerf gun with clear coat